Scientific Director AALZ
Prof. Gutknecht studied medicine and dentistry from 1979 – 1989 at the Universities of Bochum, Florence and Aachen. Since 1989 he works as a scientific researcher at the University Hospital of the RWTH Aachen University.In 1990 and 1992 he did scientific research studies in the field of dental laser therapy at the UCSF, USA. In 1995 he received the “Master in application of Nd:YAG lasers in dentistry” in Phoenix – Arizona, USA.In 1998 he became a full Professor at the Department of Restorative Dentistry at Aachen University Medical and Dental Faculty
Positions at RWTH Aachen University
- Former Director of the Department of Restorative Dentistry
- Director of the “Aachen Dental Laser Center” called AALZ
- Scientific Director of the Academic Postgraduate Master Program: “Master of Science – LaLasers in Dentistry” at the RWTH Aachen University
Positions at other universities
- Deputy Dean at the Dental School of UNAM, University of Namibia, Namibia
- Visiting Professor at the University of Sao Paulo, Brasil, Postgraduate Education
- Visiting Professor at the University of Nice, France, Postgraduate Education
- Visiting Professor at the University of Salt Lake City, USA, Postgraduate Education
- Visiting Professor at the University of Rom, Italy, Postgraduate Education
- Honorary Professor at Hong Kong University, China
Prof. Dr. Gutknecht passed away in July 2021. His life was dedicated to build up knowledge, from his pioneering works in laser dentistry at RWTH Aachen University, debunking the dubious laser claims of the early years and researching what really worked and how to use this amazing technology, on to his school project in Kenia and his last stay in Namibia where he helped establishing the dental school at the University of Namibia.
We will carry on his vision and his memory, to share his knowledge and passion with the world of dentistry. We miss you now and forever tomorrow, Norbert.